Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lights Camera Action



The stage is set, the lights go on and the audience is sitting on the edge of their seats to get a better look at the latest movie actress/model as she explains her latest fashion statement. It appeared on the cover of Seventeen Magazine only two weeks ago. She makes small talk with the host of the show and makes a witty reply to which the crowd enthusiastically claps and cheers as the “applause” sign is lit up. “Anything you have to say to your fans?” the host asks. She replies “Well it sure is a lot of work but I believe everyone was born to be a star.” The crowd cheers again. Watching her performance is Sarah with her mother Jen. She is your typical teen armed with a bright smile and a smattering of fashion knowhow, she envisions herself in the high leather armchair being interviewed on national television. As she rides home in the car with her mom Jen she has one phrase running through her mind “Everyone was born to be a star.” Yes, Sarah thinks to herself, I certainly was born to be a star.
 As she gets home she looks into the mirror and discovers that if she is going to be the next star she will need to change a few things. As the idea of famedom and success swim through her mind she begins to change the carefree attitude she once maintained and rapidly asserts the new “stylish” self. The changes begin small, a few bucks on a new wardrobe is “nothing serious” she insists to herself; after all one needs to at least look presentable to be considered a “fashion” expert. The next thing to go is her “unattractive” friends. “After all I can’t be seen with those kind of people.” She explains to her new posse. After some time Sarah does indeed get recognized by a local talent agency. After her first photo shoot Sarah is exhilarated. She has finally begun the first steps to her dream! She continues her modeling picking up a few tips about “eating” from the other more experienced models. The next five years go by in a blur and finally Sarah is walking on stage and shaking the hand of the same host the “late night” show she saw as a kid. She talks with the host feeling the rush of excitement. “Where did you get your inspiration” The host asks. Sarah smiles exclaiming “You know when I was a young girl I saw this show and from then on knew what I wanted to be a star.” The host nods and the crowd cheers. But as Sarah goes to sleep that night she feels this small nagging doubt clinging to her subconscious. “Ok” she says to herself just before she slips into her dreams. “So what if I don’t talk to my family or friends anymore at least I have fans.” She reassures herself “And the whole not eating thing is only until I get next month’s cover photo done.” She finally drifts off into a fitful sleep.
Another five years go by and Sarah’s mother Jen is at the front desk of the rehab clinic. Sarah has now been in here for three months. Broke and out of a job Sarah feels the eyes of her mother boring into the back of her skull long before she even opens the door. “Back again eh mom?” she asks. “Of course” Jen replies. “It is you birthday after all.” “Hmm I didn’t even remember” Sarah states. Although to be honest Sarah doesn’t remember much of the last five years, her addiction to fame led her invariably to other addictions and this clinic is her “last ditch effort” to get clean. Jen finally goes, leaving Sarah to contemplate her situation. “If only I had known the cost of all this” Sarah says bitterly to herself. “I have no friends, barely anyone in my family even recognizes me. My fans have abandoned me and now this clinic is driving me insane!” She goes to bed that night thinking back to that TV show actress she watched as a little girl “If only she had told me the truth” she says to herself “maybe things would have been different”. Her face breaks into a grimace “Who am I kidding I wouldn’t have listened anyways.” A few days later Jen pick up her Sunday news to discover that Sarah’s picture is again in the paper but this time it isn’t in the “adds section” Jen is jerked back into reality as the phone rings. She picks up “hello?” she says. The voice of a burly officer rings back through the phone. “Ma’am my name is Captain Douglas. I’m sorry to bother you, but I’m afraid I have some bad news, it’s about your daughter.”    

1 comment:

  1. This was quite chilling, Champion. Chilling. It is a good lesson, however, to pick careful who we admire and listen to, and strive to be.

    ReplyDelete